Armorial Porcelain Cup & Saucer Wedgwood WESTMINSTER PARLIAMENT CREST B
Here is a superb Wedgwood cup and saucer, specially commissioned for the HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT, London. It features gold and green banding and a gold portcullis crest to the cup. The green scheme mirrors the leather seating in the House of Commons Chamber. Dating to the 1980/90's this was probably used in the Member's dining room and for general refreshments.
There are fewer and fewer manufacturers of fine porcelain in England, so sets like this will only get rarer.
Fine example for the collector.
The portcullis crest is one of the most recognisiable in the world.
It was first used by the Beaufort family and the first Tudor king, Henry VII.
The Palace of Westminster which was on the present Parliament site was the official residence of both
Henry VII and Henry VIII. Their badge can be seen on castles and colleges founded by them.
It was not until the rebuilding of Parliament in 1834 after a fire that the architect Sir Charles Barry used the portcullis as a crest for Parliament.